• Food spoilage means- undesirable changes that have taken place in a food which have made it unfit to eat.
• Deterioration of food caused by natural decay or contamination with micro-organisms.
When is food spoiled–
• Appearance look at the food carefully – Check if there is any abnormal color change,
2.How to tell when food is spoiled-
Check if there are green, white or blue spots on food surface,
• moldy bread usually has green spots on its surface – Check canned foods for signs of swelling or damage
Green molds on a moldy bread
• Taste and odor – Think about the normal taste and smell of the food, throw it out if it smells really bad or unusual,
• Spoiled milk smells sour
• Rotten eggs have a very distinct and unpleasant smell
• Feel – Check if the texture of the food has changed
• The slimy texture of meat.
3.Harmful effects of food spoilage.
Food spoilage is a complex process and excessive amounts of foods are lost due to microbial spoilage even with modern day preservation techniques. Despite the heterogeneity in raw materials and processing conditions, the microflora that develops during storage and in spoiling foods can be predicted based on knowledge of the origin of the food, the substrate base and a few central preservation parameters such as temperature, atmosphere, aw and pH. Based on such knowledge, more detailed sensory, chemical and microbiological analysis can be carried out on the individual products to determine the actual specific spoilage organism. Whilst the chemical and physical parameters are the main determining factors for selection of spoilage microorganisms, a level of refinement may be found in some products in which the interactive behavior of microorganisms may contribute to their growth and/or spoilage activity.
Food Poisoning Related Diseases & Conditions
Medical conditions are often related to other diseases and conditions. Our doctors have compiled a list of ailments related to the topic of Food Poisoning. These conditions may be a cause or symptom of Food Poisoning or be a condition for which you may be at increased risk.
1.Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)-
Staphylococcus or Staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness.
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include.
3. Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes. Some of the less serious causes include bloating, gas, colitis, endometriosis, food.
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping.
5.Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis )
Stomach flu (gastroenteritis) is a term referred used to describe a variety of gastrointestinal problems. The most common signs.
Norovirus infection causes stomach flu, or gastroenteritis. It’s a very contagious illness with symptoms that include nausea.
Source- Web pages and google.
Share this post! Support for good Health !! Keep food safe from Spoilage!!
Post by Anil Purbey